Wake up to the sound of waves breaking on Coffee Bay beach, fall asleep with the lullaby of the Transkei
Welcome to Sugarloaf Beach House, situated in the beautiful Coffee Bay at the heart of the Wild Coast.
Sugarloaf overlooks the Mnenga River mouth, opening on to Coffee Bay’s main beach just a short walk from our door. If you are looking for a traditional South African experience let us welcome you to our family and show you how to make the most of your time here, whether you are looking to surf the waves, hike the cliff tops or just chill out on the beach, we will make your experience as unforgettable as the Transkei.
Join us for good food and an amazing view of Coffee Bay main beach, the bird life here is incredible too for all the bird watchers out there.
Our restaurant serves delicious pizza's, burgers, toasties, and seafood - Oh! and not to forget our finger licking good chicken pieces!
Come and stay with us in one of our cozy family rooms. Our rooms sleep from 5 to 8 people depending, or if you prefer camping, we have that option too.
Coffee Bay is a small rural village on the Wild Coast not far from Mthatha
- No ATM’s, Please be sure to draw cash before you travel, the nearest ATM is 20km away.
- Card payments are accepted by Sugarloaf backpackers! 🙂
- No convenience stores, only basic 'spaza shops - the closest store is 20km away. Be sure to bring everything you need.
- This is the wild coast; please adhere to tidal times when visiting the beach and dress appropriately, the weather can be changeable, hiking boots for walking are strongly advised.
- Don't Follow the GPS - especially when travelling from Durban or Drakensburg, the GPS will take you on a wild detour.
- Transkei Traffic - This is a place where you will find cows at petrol stations and pigs holding up buses. Please use extra caution when travelling around Coffee Bay, especially when driving at night - the roads are unpredictable and at times not tarred and the traffic is wild, quite literally.
The Wild Coast is a stretch of South Africa's East coast between East London and Durban. This area is known as the Transkei as is an authentic piece of South African culture. Coffee Bay is a small traditional village located 250km from Durban on the Wild Coast of the Eastern Cape Province.
Stay 5 Nights and the next is Free
We value guest that stay with us over long periods and offer this token to say thanks. Seasonal times do not apply.